Created: Wednesday, 26 December 2012
As many of our customers need stability and wide coverage of Wi-Fi network at their living places, after countless attempt to use stock firmware with several router manufacturers lead us to decision to use dd-wrt firmware. Once again, answering on the question why, I have to say the WiFi routing is embedded functionality in dd-wrt along with many connectivity and operational options. Such features are vital for our clients and we happy that dd-wrt adds stability and comfort at people life.
This article is about how we can switch Linksys E4200 router to use dd-wrt firmware.
CAUTION: Please use this article for your information only, don’t use it as a guide or step-by-step instruction and please understand that we don’t carry any responsibility in case of problem with your hardware following this article. In order to avoid such a dramatic scenario, please have a look at dd-wrt Linksys E4200 WiKi page as follows: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E4200
Hereby is my experience of the migration.
- After accurate reading if all dd-wrt warnings, we download for initial flashing the rom with mini in the suffix.
- Just after you downloaded the initial firmware from dd-wrt wiki page, you are to clear NVRAM and restore factory defaults. Doing so will minimize the likelihood that a problem will arise during the initial phase of installation.
To perform this step, use 30-30-30 procedure, which h is described in dd-wrt forum as follows: hold down a reset (or restore) button for 30 seconds with the router powered on. STILL holding it, pull the power cord for 30 seconds. Still holding it, plug the power back into your router and continue to hold the reset button for 30 more seconds. You will have held the button for a full 90 seconds without releasing it…
- Connect your router to your computer via Ethernet cable directly, please plug the cable in one from 1 to 4 port in the router and other side of the cable in the Ethernet card of your computer.
Note: Many warnings you can find in the net that flashing your device via Wi-Fi can cause a lot of problems, simply listen those who warn.
- Switch on router and wait at least 3 minutes.
- As soon as you are connected the computer, go directly to the admin page hitting in the browser the following address: http://192.168.1.1
- Select in the bottom of the page – “continue with open and unsecured network” and confirm the warning:
- Next step is to enter the default admin password as follows:
The default username is admin and the password is admin.
- Please accept and remove the startup warning as follows:
- Go to Administration->Firmware Upgbrade directly:
- Switch in Manual upgrade:
- Select the initial firmware for dd-wrt on your hard disk, in my case it is dd-wrt.v24-18777_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e4200.bin;
- After I started, I got a message “Incorrect image file” and immediately found out the router is Linksys E4200 V2, which is not supported by dd-wrt
So, no luck with the Linksys router, I am gonna return the router back into the shop, and start the same procedure for Netgear WNDR3700v2, which is supported by dd-wrt – open another post for more info.